Sunday, November 15, 2009

30 Days of Thanks, A November Calendar

I just finished this really big project, and the month of November is 1/2 over!!
Ah...well, there are many years left to enjoy it...and tie a big Orange Ribbon on top!

I think family traditions are a really big deal.
I love them and I want my children to have them, but I am still trying to find the ones that fit our family. When I came across this advent calendar, I knew I had to make one. I altered it a little to make it my own. So happy with it...even if it is a little lopsided!

I call it my "30 Days of Thanks", inside each pocket are little laminated cards, with a picture (for the little ones) and an activity to show gratitude. For example: I am thankful for Grandparents, make a special letter to sent to your Grandparents. You can find ideas for the pockets HERE.

I bought a 1/2 yard of felt, and attached 30 pockets out of scrap peices of fabric. The numbers are on felt, and I sewed them on but they could easily be hot glued on too. I used fabric paint and a stencil to do the "Give thanks". You can make your own stencil by printing and cutting out the phrase on regular printer paper. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for 50 cents. This entire project cost me $4.00...and I am anticipating the many happy memories it will bring.

I am hoping it will inspire our little family to be noticing all of our blessings during this month.
And know...that the whole time I will be thankful for spending time with my most precious gifts, a little boy and girl.

Happy Upcoming Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Dasha said...

I love it! I also want to have traditions with the holidays, and still working on what those are. I definitely want to make it. But for next year, I think.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Did you know - YOU'RE MY HERO? I started a felt advent calendar three years ago. And it's still sitting in my craft room, UNFINISHED.

Gorgeous!! Such a great idea. :-)

Unknown said...

Angel an I were just talking about traditions and what we want to do for the kiddos....this is a great idea!! Awesome as always :)