TinkerBell Slippers Instructions
Halloween is a little over a month away, and so I have started getting costumes ready for my dear little ones. My almost 2 (in every way) year old is going to be Tinkerbell, with a cute little Peter Pan side kick of a brother. Costumes-are simple. I made my daughter these simple little house slippers for her costume--and she adores them. In fact I had to some serious negotiating to get them off her for bed!
Here's what you need to make your little sweet some cute Tinkerbell slippers.
1. *Fabric-enough to trace a pair of your child's' shoes on
2. Corded Elastic
3.White Pom Poms ($1.20 at Hobby Lobby)
*You will also need coordinating thread/a sewing machine.
*Any type of fabric will do, depending on how you would like the slippers to be used. I used a regular cotton blend because I was trying out the pattern and was just hoping for a shoe slipcover to be worn one time only. Now that they are a hit, I am going to make another softer pair for her.
Now...to Get Started.
1. Lay out your fabric. Place the shoes on, and trace the shoe adding about 2 inches on every side. This does not have to be exact, it will not be noticeable if one side is a little shorter--so don't stress about perfecting it.
2. Cut out shoe pattern.
3. Edge the pattern (simply sew around the little fabric piece in a zigzag stitch) This will keep your fabric from fraying, and keep your shoes from falling apart.
4. Fold the fabric in 1/2 inch and pin. This is the most challenging part of the project. Just as if you were sewing an elastic waste band on a skirt or hemming--you want to use a straight stitch and leave an opening to thread the elastic through.
5. Glue/Hand stitch your fluffy little pom pom to the top of the slipper. If you are making a Disney princess slipper other than Tinkerbell-you can put a princess sticker on cardboard and glue/stitch to the shoe. This works well for Snow White and Belle.
If you want your shoe to be a little more sturdy, you can add a thick fabric covered piece of cardboard to the bottom. Otherwise those little shoes are perfect for your little princess to tink around the house in.
Sorry there aren't more pictures. I will add more with the next pair I make, and maybe bribe my foot model with goldfish crackers.